Monday, September 5, 2011

Day 25 - Spinach Anyone??

Here is my refrigerator filled with 2 bags of 3lbs each of spinach, a 25 lb bag of carrots and other various vegetables and fruits.  I must be out of my mind...yep!!,,but this will all be gone in about a week.  Not bad though when you consider there is no meat and I purchased enough for two weeks under $100. Is this what it's called "GOING GREEN"?.

I have not been blogging for the last two days except posting a recipe.  I had so many things to do that I needed to focus on them since I had a long weekend.  It is no wonder that I have stayed the same in weight since Friday morning.  My daughter and I went to Orlando for the a fundraiser for a little girl named "Izzy" who has leukemia and there was alot of snackie foods. White chocolate covered strawberry. I could not resist, but I must admit, it did not taste the way I remember.  My taste buds are changing and that is really on the plus side.  Plus I did not juice except for breakfast which makes it a little hard.  I woke up late this morning since it is my day off and can do that..LOL!!.  I rarely sleep in so this was a treat.  BUT, now to business!!

I had a nice large class of apple juice this morning made from golden delicious apples this time.

Here is the recipe for the lunch and dinner I just juiced

3-4 large handful of fresh spinach
2 cucumbers
1 bunch parsley
12 carrots

Wash the spinach, carrots, parley and cucumber if they are not organic.  Then juice all together..ENJOY!!  It has a sweet taste because of the carrots.



I posted about the Health Benefits of Spinach and nutritional value here.  Although I eat my spinach mostly raw in a salad, now I am using them for juicing.  If you are more into cooking spinach, here is a suggestion.

The Healthiest Way of Cooking Spinach
Spinach is only one of three vegetables we recommend boiling to free up acids and allow them to leach into the boiling water; this brings out a sweeter taste from the spinach. Discard the boiling water after cooking; do not drink it or use it for stock because of its acid content.

Use a large pot (3 quart) with lots of water and bring to a rapid boil. Add spinach to the boiling water and boil for 1 minute. Begin timing as soon as you place the spinach in the pot if you are using 1 pound or less of spinach. If you are cooking larger quantities of spinach bring the water back to a boil before beginning timing the 1 minute. Do not cover the pot when cooking spinach. Leaving the pot uncovered helps to release more of the acids with the rising steam. Research has shown that the boiling of spinach in large amounts of water helps decrease the oxalic acid content by as much as 50%.
Remove spinach from pot, press out liquid with a fork, place in a bowl, toss with our Mediterranean Dressing, and top with your favorite optional ingredients.





Thanks for stopping by and reading my blog.  Let me know what your favorite juicing is or even your favorite recipe that you would like for me to post.  Have a wonderful Labor Day everyone!!



2 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...