Thursday, September 8, 2011

Day 29 - The Watermelon Cure


Today is Day 29 in my Fresh Start Journey and I lost another pound which brings it up to 22 lbs in 29 days.  Not bad.  I could not walk since I was not feeling so good.  I think the change of weather brought a slight cold that made me a bit tired.  Now I feel energetic again and went for my walk this morning.  So I decided to juice me some watermelon.  I cut one in half and this is how much juice it gave me.  I am surprised but then watermelon is mainly water.  It's really a treat to find information on food that I am consuming.  The watermelon is just one of the ones I an surprised to learn about.  


Watermelon is everyone’s favorite summer fruit, or is it? Did you know that the Watermelon isn’t even a fruit? Yep!!, neither did I. Here are ten other interesting facts about Watermelon.

The Facts:

  1. Not only does it quench your thirst, it can also quench inflammation that contributes to conditions like asthma, atherosclerosis, diabetes, colon cancer, and arthritis.
  2. Over 1,200 varieties of watermelon are grown worldwide.
  3. Watermelon is an ideal health food because it doesn’t contain any fat or cholesterol, is high in fiber and vitamins A & C and is a good source of potassium.
  4. Pink watermelon is also a source of the potent carotenoid antioxidant, lycopene. These powerful antioxidants travel through the body neutralizing free radicals.
  5. Watermelon is a vegetable! It is related to cucumbers, pumpkins and squash.
  6. Early explorers used watermelons as canteens.
  7. Watermelon is grown in over 96 countries worldwide.
  8. In China and Japan watermelon is a popular gift to bring a host.
  9. In Israel and Egypt, the sweet taste of watermelon is often paired with the salty taste of feta cheese.
  10. Every part of a watermelon is edible, even the seeds and rinds.\
For more information on Watermelon's history and nutritional and health benefits..click here

Thanks for stopping by..Have a blessed day and please leave a comment.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...