Friday, September 9, 2011

Day 30 - What Are The Benefits of Collard Greens??


WOW!!..I made it to day 30 and I am walking on a regular basis and I am feeling GREAT!!.  I lost another pound today so now I lost 23 lbs.  I am on cloud 9..I have accomplished what I thought I could not do and I proved myself wrong.  Isn't it great when we are challenged and we feel we can't accomplish the task and it shows us how we are capable of completing that challenge and even go beyond it.  If we only change our thinking to a positive reaction, we can accomplish more than we expected to.  

So, here is a vegetable I have not had yet...Collard Greens.  What you see on the picture is a whole bunch of it which I juiced and here is the recipe

1 bunch of collard greens
l lb abt. spinach leaves
1 bunch of celery stalks w. leaves
8 carrots
2 cucumbers
1 apple

Wash all the vegetables and if not organic..peel the skin.  Enjoy!


When you juice vegetables together to make a green drink..it all looks green..but the taste is not the same.  This has a mild taste to it.  I thought the collard greens would make it bitter but it didn't.  

Here is a recipe for collard greens



Health Benefits Of Collard Greens

Collard Greens help lower cholesterol, collards have proven cancer prevention properties. Collards contain more vitamin A than any other vegetable. It is only over matched by the amounts of Vitamin K found in collard greens.

Vitamin A

Collard greens contain more than 20 percent of the recommended daily allowance of Vitamin A. One small cup of raw collard greens contains 2400 IU of Vitamin A. If the collards are cooked, then 15,000 - 30,000 IU of vitamin A is released. Amazing!
Vitamin A plays an important role in promoting healthy eyes, skin and a great boost to the immunity system to help fight disease.

Vitamin C

Collard greens are rich in Vitamin C, 3/4 of a cup of semi-cooked collard greens contain up to 60% percent of the daily recommended allowance of Vitamin C.
Vitamin C is important to maintaining healthy, bone, blood vessels, and healthy skin condition.
Any of the Collard Greens antioxidant phytochemical or sometimes referred to as phytonutrients such as zinc are plentiful in collards as well.

Vitamin K

Vitamin K helps form healthy bones and is essential to prevent blood clotting.

Conclusion

Collard Greens is an important food in the diet of any serious diabetes prevention program. Make it a routine to consume collard greens several times a week. Add collar greens to that favorite green smoothie, yummy:)

Collard Greens Nutritional Rating?

Collard Greens receive a rating of excellent and very good in all twenty two of the vitamins and nutrients found in collard greens.
Thank you for stopping by and being part of my journey.  Have a blessed day!!

2 comments:

  1. Mom, have you ever eaten a wrap from RawkStar Cafe? They make them will collard leaves and they are delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No I haven't..maybe we should try it next week..what do you think. When I come there on Saturday we can go there for lunch.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...